I was supposed to come up with new version of EnTibr and EmDebr with my next blog post, but something came in between. FreeRainbowTables.com kind of shutdown because of PowerBlade stopping his work/hosting on the project. The project has been a great way of generating and distributing rainbow tables for free, but it takes a fair amount of time to keep it running and especially if you want to keep improving. The news got out and was picked up on Slashdot, creating a nice flood of reactions from people willing to take over the site. I think FreeRainbowTables won't die and will continue in the near future!
Anyway, apparently there were some problems with the last few generated NTLM tables (ntlm_mixalpha-numeric#1-8_0 and ntlm_mixalpha-numeric#1-8_1), causing the indexing process to fail. As PowerBlade didn't have time to fix the tables, he suggested me to just release the original tables on tbhost.eu in standard .rt format. I don't really like that format, especially because one table is around 160GB, instead of like 110GB. So I started investigating the issue. While by now I thought I'd knew about every technical detail about Rainbow Tables, again I found myself learning quite a lot about them again! This time I had to master the binary files and especially the indexing part. I'm currently trying to fix the tables so they can be released on tbhost.eu and the GARR mirror. Just need a little more time for that.
So after fixing those tables I hope to finish off the new versions of my brute forcers! At least some good news, after fixing the bug I had in Entibr, speed didn't dramatically drop like I've been having with other bugs before :P It's currently doing around 310 Mhashes/s AND actually finding plaintexts!